Sunday, December 18, 2005

Reflections on Shopgirl

Shopgirl (2005; d. Anand Tucker; s. Steve Martin, Claire Danes, Jason Schwartzmann)

This movie may be ultimate proof of my grand unifying theory of human relationships: 1. Boys are stupid. 2. Girls are crazy. 3. It's all about Me.

I don't understand the deal with the half empty glasses in every scene. In a fairly well directed film, Tucker fetishizes objects over and over again. But there is minimal connection between the commerce and the relationships in the movie. Yes, Steve Martin in part buys the love of Claire Danes, but that is kinda secondary to the emotional arc of the movie, and undermined by the resolution.

Steve Martin, when he's funny, is still a little sad. When he's sad, he's depressing. I guess he is making his shot at being the L. A. Woody Allen. And this movie is his Interiors. That's not a good thing.

I'm sorry. I meant what was it about the half full glasses in every scene?

This movie would've been 40% improved by judicious editing of the Steve Martin makeout scenes.

Mandatory Recommended Dose of Blog Hyperbole: Jason Schwartzmann is a national treasure.

I liked this movie better when it was called Lost in Translation.

Next Time: Super Fuzz

1 Comments:

Blogger F.J. said...

My review was better....

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home